Friday, July 4, 2008

Business Attire Pet Peeve

I know hip-hop culture made this look cool once upon a time, but some things should never sag.

One thing I can not stand to see are baggy dress clothes. Call me old fashion but dress shirts and pants should be fitted and neat.

Click picture to enlarge

Collars should fit closely around the neck, almost choking, the sleeves should lay to the wrists without too much buckling, and the sides and back of the shirt should lay neatly and completely tucked in the pant without bubbling. Slacks should fit around the waist properly and shouldn't be baggy at the bottom. When you sit down we are supposed to see your socks, believe it or not. My old JROTC instructor once told me that there shouldn't be more than one dent in the crease at the bottom of the pant near the shoe.

Click picture to enlarge

To wear business attire clothing without looking sloppy, the fit is key. Get your measurements and don't be afraid of the tailor! When buying shirts and slacks ask the sales clerk to measure you, including collar and arms for the shirt and waist and inseam from the pant. When getting pants hemmed, remember to bring a pair of dress shoes. And to avoid the excess fabric on the sides and back, look for slim fitted shirts.

Trust me...these tips make a world of a difference.

Photos courtesy of GQ magazine

2 comments:

bienvenue monsieur. said...

I couldn't agree with u more.

thomaskruger281 said...

wow,....your idea is unbelievable. I think you don't understand proper fashion. Wearing a business suit should be accompany with elegance and comfortableness. And, the mens neckties should not be choking, as I said you should be comfortable-how can you face your buddies if you cannot breath. Just ask for the expert in proper fashion so that you will be aware of the things happening in the fashion world.Well, thanks for your post..It cracks my mind.LOL.