Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Samo Shit

Jean Michel Basquait (1960 - 1988) is a famous American artist of the 80's who helped contribute to the Neo-Expressionism era. Neo-Expressionism is type of art created in a much more raw and emotional manner than most common forms of art work. It is very abstract and exaggerated, normally having bright colors and images of human figures. Neo-Expressionism art has also been known as punk art and bad paintining, due to its underground appeal and its dislike by many critics.

Basquait first became known for his graffiti in the streets of Manhattan, New York. He later became known most famously for his drawings and paintings of urban black culture, his Haitan and Puerto Rican heritage, and his unorthodox perspective of society.

I really enjoy watching interviews from legardary artist and celebrities from the past, especially those who answer the questions with a honest attempt to really explain the purpose of their art and the madness in their minds. I wish I could go in my time machine back to the 80's and have a long discussion over coffee with this guy. He seems very opinionated and complex.

Basquait was a long time friend of and collaborator with the great Andy Warhol and had a relationship with early pre-stardom Madonna.

There's a movie about his life called Basquiat released in '96 that I have to see!

"I don't think about art when I'm working. I try to think about life." ~Jean Michel Basquait

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

his name is basquiat, not basquait