Monday, December 8, 2008

Streetlights - 808s & Heartbreak


I'd say I messed up
Done things I shouldn't
At the time, maybe, it seemed like a good idea
But now I know it wasn't
Yea I'll take full responsibility for that
Because in all reality I wasn't thinking
Yet in my defense, sometimes it easier not to
The pain of my thoughts have me sinking
Especially considering how life's turned out

I'd say I messed up
Isn't that what you want to hear, right?
Said one or two many lies too much
Would've thought to just keep my mouth shut
But that doesn't do any good these days either
The truth does come out anyway
Well most of it does
And thats a good thing for you
I doubt you could handle all the truth

I'd say I messed up
Priorities screwed up, ambitions tainted, hope demolished
Tarnished brass once polished
I clearly see the problems
You've mapped them all out for me
But let's just say, I am a product of my raising
And not all of the fingers should be pointed at me
Yet I still try not to show resentment 
Despite of the fact it seeps through my pores

I'd say I messed up
I face the brutal consequences now
Honestly, I've seen it coming for a while
Been collecting bottles of water and canned foods
AA batteries, flash lights
Even nailed boards over the windows
I've prepared for the storm
Gotten pretty numb to the situation completely
I hear thats called a mental defense mechanism
Maybe so, but I've grown so tired of crying and fighting with myself
Tired of smiling when there's nothing to smile about

MP.

1 comment: